Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hazeldean: Hewitt Way, Old-School

"What Canadian hockey fan alive during the last half-century or more is not going to twig to this one?"

That's what I wrote when I first uploaded this to Flickr awhile back in the fall of 2010. I was researching one of the articles on Ottawa street names that have been showing up at spacingottawa.ca under my byline from time to time, and when I saw this name on the map...well, things kept clicking.

It was almost certainly named for Foster Hewitt, the CBC sportscaster whose name and voice are synonymous for at least two generations' worth of Canadian hockey viewers and listeners by way of Hockey Night in Canada.

I wish I could recall listening to him when he was on the job, although I do recall seeing the 1972 summit series between Teams Canada and USSR as a child, which he came out of retirement specifically to cover.

No comments: